- Suicidal violence is annually the second or third most common cause of death in the same age group.
- Scene and autopsy findings do not appreciably differ, thorough investigation is the key to accurate certification.
- 78% of youth suicides are male. Firearms account for nearly as many youth suicides as hanging, overdoses and all other methods combined.
- Hanging predominates in 11-15 age group and females in general.
- Roughly 22% have made a previous attempt and 24% were known to have told others of suicidal ideation.
- “Tragically, some 1,000 youths each year accidentally strangled themselves while playing The Choking Game” Reader’s Digest - Feb 2006
- “Each year, nearly twice as many children unnecessarily die after playing this morbid game than soldiers killed in action in the Iraq War.” The Lonoke Democrat - Feb. 2006
A survey of 1000 boys / girls aged 10 - 14
- 53% of boys admitted to playing the choking game, of those who had played:
- 86% admitted to playing twice a week
- 64% admitted to playing alone
- 68 % had heard of the choking game
- 45 % knew someone who had played
- 6.6% had participated themselves
- 40% perceived no risk to playing the choking game.
- 36% At School
- 28% A friend or family member
- 16% Not sure
- 15% From the Internet
- 5% Other
77% – Yes
How soon after the incident was the victim discovered?
- 44% within 30 minutes
- 19% within an hour
- 19% within several hours
- 9% overnight